Search for Names
Last Name:
First Name:
Our Family Genealogy Pages


HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Login - User: anonymousLogin    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark

Start Slide Show   

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19» Next»

Gee of Devon

Peter Gee of Newton Ferrers. Parish records in Newton Ferrers, Devon show that he was crossing the Atlantic regularly by 1653. He was fishing or more likely trading dried fish on the Isles of Shoals, a few miles off the coast of today's New Hampshire. He may have been related to early Gee of New Hampshire Gee. His son Joshua was kidnapped by the Barbary pirates and held for six years until ransomed. Back in Boston, he used his shipbuilding knowledge to open a shipyard.

Joshua Gee's shipyard appears on the first printed map of Boston, the Bonner Map of 1722. It was located on the southwest side of Prince Street, and his mansion stood on the corner of Salem and Prince streets, known then as "Gee's Corner." The adjoining lands were also in possession of the Gees.

Joshua owned one of the first plots at the Copp's Hill Burying Ground, where is is buried. His son, also named Joshua, became Cotton Mather's co-pastor at the Second Church. (There is frequently confusion between this and the Old North Church.)

Joshua Gee's portrait and that of his wife hang today at the headquarters of the Massachusetts Historical Society. Descendants of Peter's son John have been documented by Robert E. Gee.

Owner/Source  Alice O. Gee 
Place  Newton Ferrers, Devon 
Latitude  50.316138 
Longitude  -4.036417 
File name  Newton Ferrers.jpg 
File Size  79.65k 
ID  81 
Dimensions  640 x 480 
Linked to  Peter GEE 

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19» Next»


This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding, Copyright © 2001-2008, created by Darrin Lythgoe, Sandy, Utah. All rights reserved.